It’s your annual father-son weekend, and you promised your son that this time it would be different. This time it wouldn’t be a weekend at some amusement or theme park (though you thought those were fun), this time your son wants some adventure, and he wants to use his boy-scout skills. So yes, you have promised to take him fishing, hunting, or camping.
If you are looking for an enjoyable weekend, one that is stress-free and without any trauma, you need to have the right kind of camping equipment. The right equipment will ensure that your weekend is a success. A camping vacation is a great way to have fun among nature, away from the noise and pollution of the city, but if you do not want to end up drenched or uncomfortable on your trip, you need to have a few basic camping supplies.
Camping Equipment: The Essentials
What sort of equipment you buy depends on personal choice, budget, and requirements. But there is some essential equipment that every camper should have, irrespective of whether he is in an RV, trailer, car, or on foot.
- Camping Tent: Now, this is the most essential camping gear. These days there are different types of tents available, depending on the style, fabric, frame, or color. The most common type of camping tent is the pup tent, or the traditional inverted V tent that is suitable for 2 people. Pup tents also come in different versions. The one you should look at is the larger variety, suitable for taller adults and children to walk in comfortably. Hexagonal tents offer more room for a larger group of people. When you go to buy a camping tent there are things to consider, like the durability, the number of people occupying the tent, and also ease of use. You also need to consider the weight of the tent, if you are carrying the tent on your back while hiking.
- Sleeping Bags: These days you get a whole wide variety of sleeping bags, which are light-weight, warm, and durable. You can buy different sizes, like children’s sleeping bags as well.
- First Aid Kit: Another essential part of camping gear is a first aid kit, especially if you are going camping near woods or lakes. Your first aid kit needs to have antibacterial cream, disinfectants, bandages in different sizes, gauze, pain pills, scissors, and other creams and lotions for scrapes and burns.
- Cooking Surface: Always have a cooking surface with you, you never know when it may start raining, putting your campfire out, leaving you with no food. A portable propane stove or charcoal grill are perfect for camping trips.
- Food: Though food isn’t equipment as such, it is a camping necessity. Take more food than you think you will eat and is necessary. Freeze-dried and pre-packaged food are light to carry and great in emergencies.
Getting Cheap Camping Equipment
It is important that you know where to buy your equipment, so that you get good quality, and a low price. There are several places you can choose from. One of the most popular places is a sporting goods store, or a camping goods store, this is where you will find a wide variety of goods at different prices; you can buy what you need according to your budget.
Another option is buying online. The Internet is a great place to buy inexpensive equipment or gear. All you need to do is search for online stores or go to an auction site. Just make sure that you are getting what you want, as in the right size and material. The best way to avoid any problems is to go to your neighborhood mall and check out the supplies there and then order online.
At the end of it, just remember to be safe and have fun while camping.